Why Parasite Prevention is Important for Your Pet
It’s easy to forget that parasites exist if you have never experienced an infestation. Your pet has never had fleas, and you’ve never found a tick hiding in their fur. Unfortunately, there is always a first time, and all pets—even those that spend their days outdoors—can be at risk.
Fleas, ticks and mosquitoes are not only annoying, they can also cause allergic reactions and spread diseases. If you want to do right by your pet, invest in year-round parasite prevention. In addition to keeping your pet healthy, it is also far more affordable than having to treat an illness that could have been avoided. Furthermore, your pet should not have to suffer through an illness and experience the stress of frequent veterinary visits.
Conditions Parasites Can Cause
Left unprotected, your pet can be vulnerable to a variety of problems. Fleas can transmit tapeworm to pets, and their bites can trigger allergic reactions. Ticks can spread a species of bacteria known as Borrelia, which in turn can cause Lyme disease. Ticks are also able to transmit Ehrlichiosis, another bacterial infection that results in flu-like symptoms.
We have diagnosed our share of parasite-borne diseases here at All Kinds Veterinary Hospital. Last year alone, we diagnosed 37 cases of Lyme disease, and 71 cases of Ehrlichiosis.
While these conditions are treatable, the treatments can be expensive. In the long run, prevention is the most cost-effective and responsible option.
Preventatives We Recommend
When it comes to choosing the right preventatives for your pet, you have plenty of choices. Our doctors recommend the following:
- Heartgard Plus – prevents heartworm disease in dogs
- Trifexis – a 3-in-1 tablet that can treat intestinal parasites, help kill fleas, and prevent heartworm disease in dogs
- Interceptor – prevents heartworm disease and treats and controls adult hookworm, roundworm, whipworm and tapeworm infections in dogs
- Frontline Gold – kills fleas and ticks on dogs and cats
- Nexgard – a chewable tablet for dogs that kills adult fleas and ticks
- Scalibor collar – protects dogs from fleas and ticks for as long as 6 months
If you need help choosing a product for your pet, we would be more than happy to help. Just give us a call at (301) 994-9919.